– 3 cups Self Raising Flour
– 1/2 tsp Salt
– 1 tsp Baking Powder (use 2 tsp if using plain flour)
– 1/2 cup Vegan Butter OR 1/4 cup coconut oil mixed with 1/4 cup coconut cream (then chill in the fridge for at least an hour)
– 4 Tbsp Sugar
– 3/4 cup Soy Milk (plus more for brushing the tops)*
– 1 tsp Vanilla
– 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar OR Lemon/Lime Juice
Strawberry Jam Ingredients:
– 2 1/4 cups strawberries
– 2 cups white sugar
– 1/8 cup lemon juice
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
– 1 Full Fat can of Coconut Milk (Chilled)
– 2 Tbsp Icing Sugar
– For the scones, first preheat the oven to 220°C
– Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add salt and baking powder.
– Add the vegan butter and rub in with your fingers until the mix is crumbly.
– Add the caster sugar.
– Then add the soy milk, vanilla, vinegar and mix with a wooden spoon.
– Flour your work surface and your hands, and add extra flour as needed as you move the mix out of the mixing bowl and roll it with your hands into a ball.
-nIf the dough is sticky at any point, add more flour.
– Flatten it out so that there is space to cut out 4 scones.
– Dip cutter (Or I just used a circular glass) in flour and then cut out 4 scones.
– Roll the remaining dough and cut out 3 more scones.
– Roll again and with anything left over make the final scone.
– Brush the tops of the scones with soy milk.
– Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden on top.
– For the Strawberry Jam, mash your strawberries and then add all the ingredients to a pan.
– Put on a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
– Without stirring, leave the mixture simmer until it has reduced by half and allow to cool.
– For the Coconut Whipped Cream, take the can of coconut milk (the cream should have separated from the water and be floating on the top) and scoop out the coconut cream and add to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk until it looks light and fluffy then add in your vanilla and icing sugar and beat until combined being careful not to over mix. Store it in the fridge until ready to use.
– Assemble your scones and enjoy!