– 3 tbsp instant coffee (mixed with 1 1/2 tbsp boiling water)
– 2 cups self-raising flour
– 1/2 cup caster sugar + 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 1 1/4 cup soya milk (room temperature)
– 1/3 cup coconut oil
– Pinch of salt
Coconut Coffee Icing Ingredients:
– 1 cup coconut cream
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 1 tsp of instant coffee (mixed with 1 tablespoon of boiling water.)
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
– Mix the instant coffee with the boiling water and allow to cool.
– Combine the flour, sugar baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
– In a separate bowl combine the soya milk, coconut oil, coffee mixture and balsamic vinegar.
– Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.
– Mix with a wooden spoon until combined (do not over mix)
– Pour mixture into your cake tin and bang twice on the surface to prevent the rising agents from working too soon.
– Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
– Allow to cool before icing.
– To make the icing, add the ingredients to a saucepan and simmer over a low heat continuously stirring until all the sugar and coffee has dissolved.
– Then continue to simmer without stirring until it has condensed to half the amount.
– Take it off the heat and allow to cool before smoothing it over the top of the cake.