For the Cake:
– 2 1/2 cups (312g) + 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
– 1 1/2 cups (300g) White Sugar
– 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
– 3/4 tsp Salt
– 2 cups (160g) Desiccated Coconut
– 1 1/2 cups (360ml) Full Fat Coconut Milk
– 1/2 cup (120ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
– 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (Or Any Vinegar or Lemon/Lime Juice)
– 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Coconut Buttercream:
4 and 1/2 cups (540g) Powdered Sugar
1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
1/4 cup (60ml) Coconut Milk
– Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
– Spray two 8 inch cake pans with non stick spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
– Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and then add the sugar, baking soda, salt and desiccated coconut. Mix together.
– Then add in the coconut milk, melted coconut oil, vinegar, and vanilla and stir into a thick batter. Make sure it’s well mixed but be careful not to over mix.
– Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and spread it out to the edges of the pans with a spatula or the back of a spoon, the batter will be too thick to spread out on its own.
– Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
– Transfer the cakes to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
– Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, coconut rum and coconut milk to a mixing bowl and mixing with an electric mixer starting off slow and then gradually increasing speed until thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thick, add a tiny bit more coconut milk, a drop at a time until you reach the right consistency, if it’s too thin add more powdered sugar.
– Frost your cake and decorate it with plenty of desiccated coconut.